GMBC Deaf Ministry Mission Statement:
The Deaf ministry of Gethsemane Missionary Baptist Church was formed to enable members of the Deaf Community to fully participate in the worship experience by learning and understanding the gospel of Jesus Christ. The Signers translate every aspect of the Church service including Sunday school, Bibles study and both morning services.
GMBC Sign Language Choir Mission Statement:
The mission of the GMBC Sign Language Choir is to allow God’s word to be illuminated through our hearts and hands. We use American Sign Language (ASL) to praise and worship our Lord and Savior by serving as a ministry to facilitate the power of the Holy Spirit to those who are Deaf, Hearing, and Hard-of-Hearing. We represent Gethsemane Missionary Baptist Church of Westland as a 1st class ministry, functioning in an appropriate manner as Disciples of Christ and as members of Gethsemane.
- Quarterly outings to acknowledge the birthdays of the members of the ministry, and to promote fellowship and encourage signing.
- Tamara Wright represented the Sign Choir by participating in the Interpreters for Excellence annual Sign Language Concert.
- Supported the Senior Usher board by providing a signer for the member who is Deaf who serves as an usher.
- Supported the Gethsemane Gentlemen by providing a signer to enable the male members who are Deaf to participate in the Men’s meetings and activities.
- Celebrated our 10th annual Deaf Awareness Day and 25 years as a ministry of Gethsemane Missionary Baptist Church. Our weekend events included
- Friday 7/9/15 a Panel discussion moderated by Latoya Pate on the “State of the Deaf Ministry.” Our panel was comprised of the following leaders from the Deaf Community.
- Elder Curtis Young of 2nd Ebenezer Baptist Church
- Denoroval Emery
- Gwendolyn Reid-Thorpe
- Olivia Roberts
- Minister Rubin Martin of Praetorium Sign Church of Chicago.
- Saturday 7/10/15 Interpreting workshops.
- “How to make Bible stories come to life,” facilitated by Dr. Carole Clark
- “Signing Religious music,” facilitated by April Stotts one of the founding members of Soulful Expressions Sign Choir.
- “How to interpret funerals,” facilitated by Joyce Washington, a nationally Certified interpreter.
- A Sign Choir Extravaganza featuring Aarron Loggins, Mr. Deaf International as the Master of Ceremony. The following choirs ministered in song;
- GMBC Sign Choir
- Praetorium Sign Choir
- Soulful Expressions Sign Choir
Latoya Pate President
Latoria Joyce Vice President
2016 plans include activities to bridge the gap between our Deaf and hearing members.
Current Deaf Ministry & Sign Choir Members
Pauline Hampton Advisor
Earnestine Henderson President
Deborah Hill Secretary
Tamara Wright Sign Choir Director
Latoria Adams Jaquaya O’Neal
Regina Galtney LaToya Pate
Michelle Hamilton Cheryl White
LaWanda Harper Jazlyn White
LaTricia McDaniels Sharon Woods
William Hicks Judith Yates
The Deaf Ministry strives to be in alignment with the vision of our Pastor for this local church. We pray that our ministry will be blessed as we continue to serve the Lord through our work as facilitators of this special language used to communicate with individuals who are Deaf and Hard- of- Hearing.